Friday, January 18, 2013

Happy, Happy Friday!

Well, this was our first 5 day week after break ( and even before break) and I felt every minute of it! So, I am thankful for the weekend and some time to relax! ( Although not too much relaxing for me, we have plans for the next 3 weekends. Geesh, it makes me tired just thinking about it!)

I am linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for the Five for Friday linky party AND Teaching Maddeness for The Friday Flashback. And look at me! Actually getting to it ON a Friday! :)

1. Tuesday we had our Christmas party after having to reschedule it three times. It felt very anti-climactic to me ,but the kid's had a good time. At Christmas time I like to stick with lights and gingerbread men as I feel they are very uncontroversial. I mean who doesn't love a good gingerbread man. :) I found these foam gingerbread men at the dollar store in October and bought them and some foam stickers to decorate with. I thought they would be a fun craft to do at our party as the kiddos could be creative and independent. We did a turkey glyph at our fall party that required WAY too much direction from me. 



 Aside from all the little paper backs to the foam stickers it also fulfilled another party requirement of mine...little mess! :)

 Aaaaannnnnd then I broke that requirement by frosting and sprinkling cookies. The kids had fun ,but our poor janitor! :)




2. I recently purchased Swimming Into 2nd Grade's Winter Wonderland Literacy Centers for use during station time. You can check it out HERE AT TPT. This is one of my peanuts at our pocket chart station matching up synonyms.  








 3. Speaking of station time, one of my Literacy Work Stations is the computer station. Our school has purchased a subscription to Reading A to Z for the second year in a row. I really love using it for my guided reading groups. One of my teaching partners started using the Raz Kids portion of it this year and then showed me how to set my kids up on it. Let me tell you, they are OBSESSED! I will admit it's pretty cool. They listen to and then practice reading leveled stories. Then they take quizzes on them. For each listen, read through, and quiz taken they earn points which can be used to " purchase" things for their spaceship. 


This is one of my peanuts listening to her story. I thought I had gotten a good picture of the spaceship to share and I did. However, I got her name ( first and last) in it and didn't want to be posting that! So I'll add that to next week's Friday post. :) 

4. Today we finished the last of our Christmas-y festivities. When they came in this morning they each had a present to open at their seat. I always get my kiddo's books for Christmas. I order from Scholastic so it's a double win for us. They get an awesome book and I get bonus points to get more awesome books for our room!
Isn't this wrapping paper ADORABLE! I used it last year too and I think I have enough to use it again next year too! :)


Then this afternoon we combined the 3 classes and gave them a choice of watching The Polar Express, Finding Nemo, or comfy reading. We usually do this on the Friday before break but the darn snow days kept us from it. It is always so magical to be in the library, with the twinkling lights on and the kiddo's in their jammies, watching The Polar Express on the last day before break. Watching it today was still fun but lacking some of its magic. I really feel like I should be going on Christmas break again! 


5.  This is what I am working on this weekend. I got a bunch of picture frames for Christmas and have a HUGE pile of pictures I want to frame. My goal is to turn my dining room table back into a place for eating and get all of those pictures framed AND hung. 
PS: If you are wondering why there is a knife on my table it is for opening and closing the little backing tabs on the picture frames. :)

There are my 5. Link up HERE and HERE and have a GREAT week! 

fiveforfriday
                                               

6 comments:

  1. Glad you survived your full week...and linked up to the party! :) We had to have our Christmas party rescheduled a few years back and it was just not the same! It looks like your kiddos thoroughly enjoyed it though!

    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the second time I have had to reschedule Christmas parties and Christmas just never feels the same. :( Thanks for hosting! Looking forward to linking up next week. :)

      Delete
  2. I love the gingerbread men! Glad to find a fellow second grade blogger! I'm your newest follower!

    Covered in Glitter and Glue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous your school has Raz Kids! My old school just got it this year (the year I left to start a new school for our district). I keep hearing great things about it and still need to convince our Superintendent to purchase it for our campus as well.

    I'm curious, why did you reschedule your Christmas party so much?

    I'm so glad I am not the only one who double dipped this week with two linkies!

    The Frizz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had 2 snow days on the days before break when it was originally scheduled. THEN we had a snow day last Friday when we rescheduled everything. It was crazy! Try to convince him! It is seriously worth it!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment. You have o"fish" ally made my day. :)