Friday, March 2, 2012

Fraction Sundaes....Yum! Yum!

Amy Lemons has done it again! She is the creative genius behind the winter people craftivity from my last post. Well, this time I purchased her fraction sundae from Teachers Pay Teachers. This awesome project takes a potentially difficult concept to understand ( fractions) and puts it into a concrete, 2nd grade friendly concept- ice cream! You can find the sundae's here : http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Amy-Lemons. I highly recomend you follow her store. She is incredibley creative and crafty!





Now the prep for this was a bit time consuming. I took the ice cream template and traced it onto the colors I wanted to represent the different ice creams. This way it was more uniform...and when I say I did it I really mean I made my younger brother and his girlfriend help me while we watched PLL. :)

I also traced the bowls on a solid color. But for the label and the recording sheet  I simply copied them onto colored paper on our school printers. You could have the kids decorate their own but I thought that might get too time consuming and be to busy with color when displayed.

Once the sundaes were put together, I modeled for the kiddo's how to fill out the recording sheet and then I had them do their own. EVERY SINGLE ONE got 100%.  ( I even had some of my Special Ed. math students do it as well.)


Here is a shot of all of them on our Work We Love board. I love the color. I think they will be up for awhile!

3 comments:

  1. Those turned out very cute! I am happy to be your newest follower. I saw my name on your list of favorite blogs....that really made me smile. =)

    I would love for you to come add your picture to my followers. =)

    If you ever need any help or have a question, please ask. I probably cannot help you but I can send you to someone who can help. =)

    If you ever want to do a giveaway, I am always happy to help.


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by my blog. You should be able to click on the poems and go to Google Docs. All of the poems i share are *freebies*. Please let me know if you cannot download them and I will email them to you.

      I am happy to be on your blogging journey. That is what I love so much about blogging. We can all help each other be better teachers whether it is by sharing activities, ideas, or inspiration.


      Heather
      Heather's Heart

      Delete
    2. Heather, I have added my picture to your wall as it were. :) Thought I had already done that but obviously hadnt! Heading in to school Monday to begin the arduous task of putting my room back together so I will try to print those out then.

      I DO want to do a giveaway. Right now I am at 7 followers which THRILLS me. LOL! :) I am thinking that when/ if I get to 25 I will do one then. Thanks for all your offers of help! I am SURE I will need them. :)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment. You have o"fish" ally made my day. :)