Friday, March 22, 2013

Comin' Clean and Friday Link Up

Happy Friday Friends!

Ok, so first I need to tell you which two were my truths and which one was my lie. ( Not sure what I am talking about? Check out the last post HERE.)

These were my 3:
1. I once won an oatmeal cream pie eating contest by eating 9 of them in a row.

2. The movie Dirty Dancing helped me to be excited about having my daughter.

3. My daughter is named after the street my husband grew up on.


#1 was a..........TRUTH! It was just a fun impromptu competition amongst my friends. I really won with 6 oatmeal cream pies. But I wanted to see how many I could do and wound up eating 9! I still enjoy them to this day but never as many in one sitting! LOL!

#2 was a ...................TRUTH too! I wanted a boy. so. bad when I found out I was pregnant. I just always pictured myself as the mom of a little boy. But, I had a feeling from the beginning that she was a girl. Still, when the ultrasound tech told us it was a girl I was disappointed, after the initial high of finding out. I had all these dreams of my little boy and I had to let them go and that was hard. That night Dirty Dancing was on tv. I had to watch because, well,  that is what you do when you find DD on tv. As I was watching I started realizing all the cool things that I could do as the mom of a girl...like watching Dirty Dancing for instance. ( Not that I couldn't watch with a son, it just wouldn't be the same.) The next morning I woke up with a totally 180 degree change of attitude about it. I was overjoyed about my little girl and to this day remain SO happy that God knew me better than I knew myself.

So then #3 was the lie...sort of. My daughters name happens to be the name of the street I grew up on. But that isn't the reason we named her that...it's just a coincidence. If #3 were true my kids name would be 80th Avenue. :)

That linky was so fun. I need to go back and check all of the ones I commented on. ( I made a list on paper so I could check them all!) If you want to join in the fun its not too late. The linky is open until Sunday when Latoya will hold another one. This weeks theme is would you rather.

Ok, on to my Friday link ups.

fiveforfriday                         
Doodlebugs Teaching         Teaching Maddeness

This week I was out at two conferences. That meant 2 chances for my favorite breakfast: McDonalds!
( Bacon, egg, and cheese bagel combo is my go-to!)Soooooo good!

And actually the best part was both PD's were beneficial with things that I can implement now and things for next year...The best kind in my opinion.

I have been unhappy with my management of math stations for a long time now. I have station boards for our literacy work stations. I send them to two stations a day and I choose where they go and who they work with. Once there they have some choice as to what they can work on.


Because I make so many choices during that set of stations, I wanted to keep the math ones more free flowing and allow for more choice on their end. There are 5 stations that they need to do throughout the week. I have those choices listed as I Can statements. You can see that HERE. They have about 15- 20 minutes 4-5 days a week for math stations, before we do our whole group lesson.

But without the boards it was hard to keep track of who was doing what. So I made this station board. ( The cute chevron letters are by Teaching in a Small Town.)

They simply highlight their name on the list under the station they completed that day. They can do them in any order and can do them more than once. But they need to do each of them by Friday afternoon or lose free time on Friday afternoon. They did a really great job of tracking themselves this week and I am much more confident that they aren't just all playing BUMP all the time.



We learned about rounding to the nearest 10 this week. I won Angela Nerby's estimation scoot a while back and have been waiting to use it. Finally that day came! After our whole group lesson we played scoot to practice. They really had a good time and loved hearing me shout "Scoot" in funny voices.



 










I loved that they were able to move around so much and I could instantly assess who was getting it and who wasn't just by peaking at their clipboard.


The peanuts had their musical this week. It was circus themed. They did a good job and I will be singing the songs FOREVER! This is the super cute scenery. I wish I could share some pictures of them in their costumes. But their faces are partly what makes it so stinkin' cute.



We had our science fair this week too. This is the board the peanuts and I made.




Next week is my last week before Spring Break. That is so crazy to me. This year is FLYING by!



 I will get to spend some much needed Mommy/ Daughter time. Look at this nut! I was playing around with my new phone and taking her hammy little pictures...Before I knew it, I had 100 of them! I don't like to put her face on the internet too much, but this was too cute not to share. :)


Enjoy your weekend friends! I am off to link up.

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE your math stations board idea - very cute and practical! I like how it gives them options, motivates them to complete each activity, and holds them accountable for spending their time wisely.

    Your daughter is tooo cute! Hope you enjoy your time with her when you're on Spring break :)

    ~Jessica
    Joy in the Journey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica ( on both accounts). Its only taken me 3 years but I think I finally have a good system for both sets of stations. LOL!

      And I think she's pretty darn cute too. She is by far the cutest thing I've ever made. LOL!

      Delete
  2. Making a list was a great idea! I am loving seeing the answers!

    I love your Math Station Sign. Looks good and makes sense, too!

    Enjoy your weekend!

    Jenny
    Suntans and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I especially wanted to make sure that I went back to blogs that weren't on my list of faves. Hope you got my response on your 100 follower giveaway. ( It was yes of course.) Please let me know if you don't get it. :)

      Delete
  3. Dirty Dancing easing your motherhood stress, thanks for explaining. I certainly never would have been able to figure that one out on my own.
    She is very cute.

    School Is a Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think so. I think that story proves that the lord works in mysterious ways. :)
      Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  4. Awww thanks for the shout out! The circus musical and science fair looks SO fun!!! Your math stations board turned out AWESOME!!

    Angela :)
    Hippo Hooray for Second Grade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really love the way it turned out too. It feels good to finally have a manageable way to handle those stations.

      Both were fun, but I am glad that they are over now!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment. You have o"fish" ally made my day. :)