Friday, January 27, 2012

"I'm in Love! I'm in Love and I Don't Care Who Knows It!"

Did you catch my Elf movie reference in the title? Have I mentioned I how much I love Christmas? :)


Well, I have a new love and it is called the wonderful world of Pinterest and I am OBSESSED! I have seen people post things on Facebook before and wondered what in the world this "pinning" thing was all about. I have seen the light! I saw this estimation station on there and pinned it. Then made it and now I am sharing it! It's from the blog First Grade Parade. You can find the link here : http://thefirstgradeparade.blogspot.com/2010/09/estimation-station.html to see the original one.


To make mine I took a piece of posterboard and cut it in half. Then because the theme of my room is an Ocean/Beach one I freaked out when I found these cool wave borders, which I put all the way around the edge. I used big stickers to spell out estimation station and left a big blank space underneath for the kiddo's to put their estimate. In the litle blue tub below the poster is the container for items to be estimated,  a couple of pencils, and some sticky notes. At Math Station time the kiddo's can look in the container and make an estimate of how many items they think are in there. They will write their name and estimate on a post it note and stick it to the poster board. On Friday, we will count the items in the container and then go over the estimates that have been posted. The person who comes the closest will get a sticker for their rewards chart. I can't wait to try this out! I think it will really help because our 2nd grade kiddo's consistantly struggle with estimation, so that is an area I wanted to really focus on this year.

I love you Pinterest! I am so glad you exist! You are going to change my classroom and my life! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. You have o"fish" ally made my day. :)